Long Distance Training Designed to Help You
Run Smarter, Faster, Stronger
The Lydiard® Foundation is a non-profit organization, dedicated to preserving and promoting the work of Master Coach Arthur Lydiard. Our mission is to bring his proven endurance training system to runners of all ages and abilities to optimize their running potential and achieve their performance, health and fitness goals.
The Lydiard® Coaching Certificate Clinic is a two and a half day course covering the Principles, Theories, Structure, and Application of Lydiard training and is suitable for both coaches and runners of all abilities. Attendees will learn how to construct a Lydiard® training plan with daily workouts and phases. Step by step instruction are given on how to engineer a peak performance for any level athlete and how to plan for long-term development. The course takes place in a classroom setting with two practical demo and optional participation sessions outside.
CERIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To receive your Lydiard® II coaches Certification participants are required to attend the course, pass the multi-choice exam, and submit and get a passing grade on two case studies. Once certified you will receive a certificate, a badge to display online, and a listing on our Lydiard Foundation site.
(*Note, the details of the schedule are subject to change)
- 4:00 pm Introduction of Lydiard Foundation, instructor(s), and self
- 4:30 pm Class starts; Historical Background, Worldwide Influence, Five Principles of Lydiard® Training
- 6:00 pm Dinner Break with Movie (“The Golden Hour“)
- 7:00 pm Overview of Upcoming 2 Day Course
- 9:00 am Aerobic Development, Simple Physiology, Marathon Conditioning, Hill Training
- 12:00 pm Lunch Break with Movie
- 1:00 pm Anaerobic Training (Intervals), Integration Training (Coordination), Taper–the Art of Peaking, Q&A
- 4:00 pm Workout Practice—Lydiard Hill Training
- 9:00 am Recovery Indicators
- 10:00 am Planning Yearly Training Cycle, Racing Considerations, Post-Race Recovery
- 11:00 am Workout Practice—50/50, Drills
- 12:00 pm Lunch Break with Movie
- 1:00 pm Review, Group Session—Case Studies, Multiple Questions (part of the exam)
- 3:30-4:00 pm Closing Comments
An Historical Overview, Lydiard Principles
After Introductions we proceed with a fascinating slideshow and inspiring video clips of Master Coach Arthur Lydiard showing how his adage “Champions are Everywhere” became his legacy worldwide.
The Five Lydiard Principles are outlined next.
- The Principle of Maximizing Aerobic Development
- The Principle of Feeling-Based Training
- The Principle of Response-Regulated Training
- The Principle of Sequential Energy System Development
- The Principle of Correct Timing
These principles are the foundational reference points that define and distinguish Lydiard training and provide a context for the subsequent teachings
We round out the evening with a summary of the upcoming 2-Day Course
The Structure of Lydiard® Training
The first two hours of the morning will begin with a power-point presentation on Running Physiology and how energy is derived and utilized in the running body. Drawing on Lydiard® philosophy and verifying with exercise physiology and scientific study, we provide a comprehensive basis for understanding how Lydiard® Training is structured to optimize all available energy systems of the athlete.
The rest of the day is dedicated to covering in detail the Five Phases of the Lydiard® Training Pyramid in sequence:
- Aerobic Conditioning
- Hill Strength Training
- Anaerobic Development
You will learn the purpose, structure and timing of the workouts of each phase, how to prescribe exactly the optimal workout each day of the week in a way that harnesses the regenerative powers of the body. You will learn how to modify the schedule for beginners, high-schoolers, master runners etc., to coach them to achieving peak performance.
At the end of the day, a hill workout (striding, springing and bounding) will be demonstrated and participants will be invited to join in.
The Application of Lydiard® Training
Balancing workouts with recovery is key to optimizing training. What are Recovery Indicators and how can we accurately read the runner’s body signals to gain the Greatest Training Effect? We demonstrate for you how to optimize recovery, avoid over-training and recognize fatigue signals with strategies to use, if your runners goes over the edge. We round our the morning with a fun integration workout of 50/50’s.
On Sunday afternoon, we look at macro-cycles of training and how to make long-term plans using the Lydiard Training Pyramid. We also cover Race Recovery and how to Maintain a Peak for Continued Racing.
In the afternoon, we will work on case studies and review elements of the exam, which participants will complete at home and send in for evaluation.
Our goal is that at the end of the course every participant can competently write a Lydiard schedule, knowing that every workout has its purpose and place to optimize the training and racing of any athlete.